As a consumer, you should be able to trust the products you use. However, goods are not always held to the highest safety standards which can result in life-altering injuries.
At Charpentier Law Firm, P.A., a product liability lawyer will thoroughly investigate your case and pursue maximum compensation for your injuries and other damages.
We can help you stand up against these large entities to find justice...
Schedule Your Free Consultation
Speak with one of our attorneys to find out if your case qualifies by calling:
We have offices in Melbourne, Titusville, and Cocoa to serve you.
Request an Evaluation
Why should you hire a product liability attorney?
An Explanation of Product Liability
Products are meant to be fit for use by the consumer, but not all goods make it to the hands of the buyer in a safe condition. When a product is defective and causes injury, the victim is entitled to financial recovery from the responsible party. There are several entities that can be held liable in these types of cases including the manufacturer, distributor, supplier, or retail store that sold the defective product.
Product liability cases are complex, with many avenues of recovery. Manufacturers and others along the line of distribution may bear responsibility for an injury.
Examples of Defective Products
Products commonly involved in these cases include:
- Defective auto parts: Defective tires, braking systems, seatbelts, airbags, and car seats can cause serious injury. When the components of a car fail, especially those parts intended to keep drivers and passengers safe, severe injuries can result. A faulty tire can blow out, causing a driver to lose control of the car and rollover or crash into another vehicle. When a seatbelt or airbag fails to work properly, the injuries might include broken bones or paralysis. A defective car seat can result in catastrophic or fatal injuries to infants, warranting a claim by the family for the damages.
- Defective medical devices: A defective medical device can cause serious injury, such as burns, cuts, and punctured organs. Hip implants and knee replacements have spurred many lawsuits in recent years.
- Toxic personal products: Some products contain dangerous ingredients, and when the user is exposed to them, a serious injury can be suffered. Talcum powder has recently been at the center of litigation by individuals and classes, and the victims have been successful in obtaining significant jury awards.
- Other products: Common household objects such as toys, tools, appliances, and hair care products can cause an injury. When a small appliance malfunctions, it can catch on fire and severely burn the user. Toys that are improperly designed or lacking adequate warnings can pose choking hazards.
Types of Product Liability
There are three primary types of product liability:
- Negligence: When the parties involved in the making of product fail to exercise the care required to manufacture that product safely, a product may be considered defective due to negligence.
- Strict liability: If a party involved in the process acts unreasonably, theories of strict liability may apply. This theory of law holds that responsibility lies with the manufacturer, supplier, or retail establishment regardless of the intent of the party being charged.
- Warranty: When a guarantee is provided regarding a product and the product fails, a breach of warranty claim can be made.
It is important to remember that there are several parties responsible for an end product. When an injury is caused and a personal injury suit is filed, the victim must prove that fault lies with the manufacturer, designer, or retailer. This task is much easier with an attorney's help. Attorney Stephen G. Charpentier can build your case and fight for the compensation you deserve.