Brevard County Surgical Error Attorneys
Millions of surgeries are performed in the United States each year, and the majority of these procedures are completed without any complications. Unfortunately, a small minority of patients fall victim to medical malpractice or negligence. When medical malpractice or negligence occurs during surgery, it can seriously injure the patient. Surgical errors may result in the need for additional surgery, increase the risk of infection, or cause additional health problems. The attorneys at Charpentier Law Firm have a wealth of experience in these types of complex medical cases. We serve our clients' best interests and work to secure maximum compensation for damages. If you have been the victim of negligent doctors, nurses, or surgical facilities, please contact our office to schedule an appointment with a surgical errors lawyer at our Melbourne practice.
An experienced attorney can help you determine what type of error was made during your surgical procedure.
Common Types of Surgical Errors
Some common errors made during surgery include:
- Improper incision site - The surgeon creates an incision in the wrong area of the body
- Improper surgical location - The surgeon operates on the wrong part of the body
- Injuring adjacent tissue - Accidental injury of nearby organ, musculature, nerve, or other tissue
- Opposite side - The surgeon operates on the wrong side of the body (for example, operating on the wrong limb or kidney)
- Anesthesia errors - The anesthesiologist administers excessive amounts, inadequate amounts, or the wrong type of anesthesia during surgery
- Failure to follow sterile protocol - If the surgeon, nurses, other members of the surgical team, or medical facility fail to follow proper sterilization protocol, the patient may be at an increased risk of infection and other complications
- Foreign object left behind - The surgeon leaves surgical instruments in the patient's body
- Defective medical devices or tools - Defective medical devices may increase the patient's risk of health problems, or fail soon after they are placed in the body
Establishing Liability in a Surgical Errors Case
Surgical procedures inherently carry with them a certain degree of risk. Even when properly performed, there is a chance of injury. However, preventable surgical errors occur all too frequently, and are often the result of carelessness, insufficient safety or sterilization procedures, or confusion.
Our experienced medical malpractice attorneys will review all of the circumstances of your case, including your medical records and hospital or surgical facility procedures, to determine if the surgical error could have been avoided. If we have sufficient evidence to show that medical malpractice or negligence occurred, we can help you receive the compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In the case of death due to surgical errors, we my also seek compensation for future lost wages, funeral expenses, and loss of companionship.
Do You Have Questions About A Surgical Error in Brevard County?
Anyone can make a mistake while working, but surgeons and other health care professionals must be held to a higher standard. If you or a loved one has fallen victim to a surgical error and you need an attorney who will stand up for your rights, please contact our office to schedule a consultation about your case.
WE HAVE A HISTORY OF SUCCESS
IN BREVARD COUNTY
Over the past 40-plus years of helping Brevard County's injured and mistreated, our firm has obtained some $65 million in recoveries on behalf of our clients, highlighted by an $8 million product liability award in 2001.
The team at Charpentier Law Firm has the negotiation skills to reach favorable settlements in many cases, but also has the experience and perseverance to try a case to verdict whenever it is in the best interests of our clients. Our history of success illustrates our dedication to our clients and their pursuit of justice. Our personal injury attorneys in Melbourne, Titusville, and Cocoa are proud to offer superior legal representation to victims and their families throughout Brevard County and Central Florida.