According to a recent survey from the industry group Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (as quoted in American Motorcyclist - March 2008);
- 10% of automobile drivers have done work-related tasks while driving, by either reviewing notes, talking on the telephone or using a computer;
- 18% of automobile drivers have applied makeup while driving;
- 32% of drivers (automobiles and tractor trailers) admit to reading while driving;
- 39% of drivers have attended to children while driving;
- 51% of drivers say they use a cell phone while driving ( I assume this includes tractor trailer operators as well);
- 70% of drivers admit to eating while driving.
What do we, as drivers in Melbourne, Cocoa and Titusville, learn from this? Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate so that you are always ready to take the appropriate evasive action.