Settlement Factors in Motorcycle Accidents
When a motorcycle rider is injured or involved in an accident, all too often they face bias simply for being a rider. Unfortunately, this prejudice can hurt their chances at securing a just settlement. To ensure they secure a settlement that fully covers their injuries and hardships, many riders make the smart decision to have an experienced personal injury attorney represent their case. The attorneys at the Charpentier Law Firm in Melbourne, FL, know the settlement factors in motorcycle accidents to focus on that will ensure that you receive fair compensation. Over our law firm's nearly four decades of experience representing victims of motorcycle accidents, we have secured appropriate compensation for our clients, including a 2015 settlement of $950,000.
An experienced attorney can help establish liability for your injuries using many factors in your case, including:
- Police report - if the police were called, they will have assessed the accident scene and made a report of their findings. This report will include basic information like date, time, and location of the accident, as well as statements from witnesses. The crucial part of the report will also have a record of property damage, a written narrative of the details of the accident, as well as a diagram and a description of the at-fault driver's actions that led to the crash. A field sobriety test may be issued to suspected drunk drivers, and citations may be given to at-fault parties.
- Citations - if the responding officer gives a citation to the other party for actions that contributed to the accident, it can be very beneficial to your case. Citations may be for speeding, failing to signal, running a red light, operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, or many other traffic infractions.
- Admitting to fault - if the other party admits the collision was their fault, especially to your insurance company or to the police, this can be used against them in your case. Conversely, such statements can be used against you, so never admit to guilt at the scene of an accident or anytime thereafter, even if you feel your actions may have contributed to the accident.
What Kinds of Injuries Occurred?
The amount of money you are entitled to will be based largely on the extent of your injuries. This is inclusive of past and future medical attention for injuries related to the accident. An experienced attorney can help you estimate the future costs that will be necessary for treatment of your injury. Our attorneys commonly call upon medical experts to determine the appropriate amount of compensation to pursue.
For nearly forty years, Stephen G. Charpentier has lead a team of attorneys who know how to identify and capitalize on the factors that win motorcycle accident claims.
Because of the smaller size of motorcycles compared to other vehicles on the road, riders are at a higher risk for sustaining catastrophic and deadly injuries, including:
- Back and Neck Injuries - The soft tissue connecting the bones in our neck and back are very susceptible to sprains and tears in a crash.
- Spinal Cord Damage - Damage to the bundles of nerves that form the spinal cord is irreversible. Victims may experience incomplete paralysis, where they maintain some sensation and motor control in the affected parts of the body, or complete paralysis, characterized by no sensation or movement to the affected areas.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries - Even with a good helmet on, motorcycle riders can sustain traumatic brain injuries (TBI). TBI can cause a wide range of symptoms, from headaches to severe cognitive dysfunction.
- Wrongful Death - While no amount of money can truly compensate for the loss of a loved one, a victim’s survivors can pursue compensation from at-fault parties in a wrongful death suit.
What an Attorney Can Do for You
For nearly forty years, Stephen G. Charpentier has lead a team of attorneys who know how to identify and capitalize on the factors that win motorcycle accident claims. With this extensive legal skill, the Charpentier Law Firm can put together a strong case that helps you secure the highest possible settlement. Contact our firm today at (321) 308-8020 to learn more about what to do following a motorcycle accident during a free consultation.