Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents caused by a negligent driver often result in severe physical injuries, emotional trauma, and mounting expenses, all of which can be overwhelming.
A car accident lawyer can provide strategic, aggressive representation to recover damages to help you overcome your injuries.
Take the right steps...
Schedule Your Free Consultation
One of our attorneys can evaluate your accident to help you determine the best course of action. To speak with a member of our team, call us at:
We have offices in Melbourne, Cocoa, and Titusville to serve you.
Request a Case Evaluation
Closely following these steps will significantly benefit you in the long run...
An Established Career as a Trial Lawyer
Over 30 Years in Practice
Stephen G. Charpentier
Car Accidents Cause Devastating Losses
...and more than 32,000 car accident victims lose their lives.
Car accident victims suffer a range of life-altering injuries...
Compassionate & Actionable Representation
"After my daughter and I were involved in a serious car accident last year, there was no question which attorney I wanted to advise me. I would highly recommend Steve Charpentier and his law firm to anyone in need of expert representation." Brenda
What are the most common causes of car accidents?
In fact, distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents...
What Is Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving is any driving pattern that takes a driver’s attention away from the road. The most common form of distracted driving is texting and driving.
Distracted driving is hazardous and can cause life-changing injuries.
Florida Distracted Driving Statistics
In Florida, the 2016 statistics regarding distracted driving are alarming:
- Distracted driving accounts for 16% of all fatal crashes, according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
- 50,000 car accidents were caused by a distracted driver.
- The death toll from accidents caused by distracted driving was just over 200.
- The rate of serious injury in a distracted driving accident was close to 4,000 injuries.
Forms of Distracted Driving
Distracted driving can take any of these forms:
- Cognitive: A lack of focus on driving results when a driver is distracted and unable to pay attention to their driving. Talking to other passengers or thinking of other tasks are examples of cognitive distractions.
- Physical: Eating or drinking while driving does not allow a driver to keep both hands on the wheel, and is a form of physically distracted driving. Texting and driving also falls in this category.
- Visual: When a driver takes their eyes off the road, their vision is distracted by other things and does not allow for full attention to be given to driving. Reading an email message or scanning for a different radio station are visual forms of distracted driving.
Does Cause Matter?
The cause of your accident is important to your case. If the car accident you were involved in was caused by the negligence of another driver, it is possible that you are eligible for compensation.
It is also important to understand state laws...
Florida Is a No-Fault State
This means you will file your insurance claim through your own insurance, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. However, you may be able to pursue further damages if your injuries are considered serious which, according to Florida Statute 627.737, includes:
- Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function
- Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Permanent injury within a reasonable degree of medical probability, other than scarring or disfigurement
You may also be able to pursue a lawsuit against the other motorist if the losses you have suffered exceed a $10,000 threshold. In these cases, you may also be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering.
How Does This Impact Hit & Run Accidents?
Drivers in any type of car accident are required by law to stop their vehicles at the scene and help anyone who has been injured. However, some drivers flee the scene of the accident. In the context of hit and run accidents, no-fault laws mean that insurance carriers are responsible for providing compensation to the victims. Although your insurance company should be looking out for your best interests, it is in their best interest to pay out as little money as possible. Without a legal advocate, victims frequently receive compensation for only a fraction of the losses that they incur.
Dangerous Instrumentality Laws
Florida's dangerous instrumentality doctrine states that car owners are liable for any injuries caused by their vehicle when it is being driven by another party. This law is intended to protect and provide insurance for motorists who are injured in an accident. If an uninsured driver commits a hit and run accident in someone else's car, we may be able to obtain damages from the car owner's insurance company. Our experienced attorneys will determine which parties may be liable for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages, so we can obtain compensation from the negligent parties.
Video: Auto Accidents – Central Florida Lawyer
Depending on your circumstances, you may...
Time is of the essence...
Florida Limits How Long You Can Wait to File a Lawsuit
In the state of Florida, you must file a personal injury lawsuit within four years of your accident. In rare circumstances, if you were unaware of your injury until later, this window may be expanded. However, we urge victims to pursue legal action as soon as possible because the sooner you begin the legal process, the sooner you can recover damages to help cover your mounting expenses.
Do you actually need an attorney?
An attorney can take on the burden of your case and allow you to focus on healing.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Make All the Difference
Your car accident attorney can:
- Ensure all documentation is completed and submitted on time
- Deal with the insurance company on your behalf
- Gather experts to reconstruct the scene and provide testimony
- Inspecting defective products that may have contributed to the accident
- Pursue the maximum amount of damages for your injuries and other losses
- Fight for your best interests
Charpentier Law Firm, P.A. has a highly competent team that can help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Advocating on Behalf of Victims
"Our mission is to defend people who have been harmed by others’ actions or negligence and provide exceptional legal representation to victims of medical malpractice, auto accidents, birth injury, wrongful death, and other accident injuries. " Charpentier Law Firm, P.A.
You may be entitled to several types of damages...
Reliable Legal Counsel
"Mr. Stephen G. Charpentier consulted with me over a personal injury case and a attorney referral case. My wife and I were involved in no fault vehicle accident. This attorney provided professional guidance and direction. As a client, my and I were successful with our legal claim. In addition, Attorney Charpentier, provided easy communication concerning an attorney referral." David
Charpentier Law Firm, P.A.
Since 1989, Stephen G. Charpentier been protecting victims' rights. Mr. Charpentier:
- Is a recipient of an AV rating, the Martindale-Hubbel® National Law Directory's highest honor
- Earned Florida Legal Elite status in 2010
- Handles cases in many practice areas including medical malpractice, auto accidents, and wrongful death
To schedule your free consultation, contact us online or call us at (321) 308-8020.